FOOD TECHNOLOGY (01/08/2021)
Q1. _______ is the separation of a small content of liquids from solids by applied pressure.
ANSWER- D. Expression
- Explanation – A procedure in which liquid contained in pores in a solid matrix or contiguous array of solid matrices or particles is expelled by compaction or squeezing is known as expression or pressing. It is the mechanical separation of relatively small amounts of liquids from compressible sludges. The pressed mixture is sometimes referred to as a “press cake,” or simply “cake.” Expression is the separation of a small content of liquids from solids by applied pressure.
READ MORE – FOOD TECHNOLOGY (01/07/2021)
Q2. Rotary drum filters and rotary disc filters are types of _______ filters.
A. Shell and leaf filter
B. Vacuum filter
C. Frame filter
D. Batch plate filter
ANSWER: B. Vacuum filter
- Explanation: The cost of vacuum generation limits vacuum filters to a pressure difference of around 100 x103 Pa. Cake, on the other hand, is removed at atmospheric pressure, allowing these filters to function continually. The rotating drum filter and the rotary disc filter are two typical types of vacuum filters.
READ MORE – FOOD TECHNOLOGY (11/07/2021)
Q3. The main types of solvents used for extraction are ______.
B. Organic solvents
C. Supercritical carbon dioxide
D. All of the above
ANSWER – D. All of the above
- Explanation– The removal of the desired component (the solute) from food using a liquid (the solvent) that can dissolve the solute is known as solid-liquid extraction. To dissolve membrane lipids and liberate integral proteins and subcellular components, water and organic solvents such as chloroform/methanol combinations are often utilized. Supercritical carbon dioxide is used for supercritical fluid extraction.
READ MORE – FOOD TECHNOLOGY (21/07/2021)
Q4. _________ is used to separate water from low-molecular-weight solutes, which have high osmotic pressure.
A. Reverse Osmosis
D. Ultra Filtration
ANSWER: A. Reverse Osmosis
- Explanation: Reverse osmosis (RO) is a water purification method that separates ions, undesirable compounds, and bigger particles from drinking water using a partially permeable membrane. Applied pressure is utilized in reverse osmosis to overcome osmotic pressure, a colligative phenomenon generated by chemical potential differences in the solvent, a thermodynamic parameter.
READ MORE – FOOD TECHNOLOGY (31/05/2021)
Q5. ________ is used as a processing aid to increase the variety and convenience of baked goods, confectionery, and snack foods.
D. None of the above
ANSWER – C. Forming
- Explanation – Forming is a size-enlargement operation in which foods with high viscosity or a dough-like texture are molded into a range of shapes and sizes, frequently right after they have been mixed. By creating diverse shapes and sizes, forming is used to increase the variety and convenience of foods such as baked products, confectionery, and snack foods.
READ MORE – FOOD TECHNOLOGY (31/07/2021)